We believe in a positive approach when guiding children. Our goals in guidance are to encourage mastery and independence by providing the children with opportunities to do things for themselves. We support the children’s feelings and promote their individuality by allowing for choices throughout the curriculum. We strive to be warm, caring, nurturing, respectful, and supportive caregivers.
The daycare centre staff members use the guidance policy on a daily basis with the children. Modeling the behaviours from the guidance policy is essential to the children’s learning.
- Respect the children
- Model and teach respect for others
- Model and teach respect for property
- Encourage the children, be genuine
- Avoid criticism, be positive
- Listen to your tone of voice
- Promote independence and self-respect
- Be firm, fair, and consistent
- Talk with children, not to them or at them
- Enjoy children, have fun with them
- Avoid conflicts, redirect children before a problem occurs
- Be willing to admit mistakes, smile and start again
Typically in a group daycare setting you will find that the children will have conflict with one another from time to time and this is normal. The conflicts provide opportunities for the children to learn about boundaries, appropriate ways to handle situations, and how to function successfully in a larger group of peers.
Jolly Giant Childcare closes for the following days each year:
- Labour Day (first Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (second Monday in October)
- Remembrance Day (November 11)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
- New Years Day (January 1)
- Family Day (second Monday in February)
- Good Friday (April)
- Easter Monday (April)
- Victoria Day (Monday preceding May 25)
- Canada Day (July 1)
- BC Day (first Monday in August)
- Five business days during the month of December (Christmas break, TBA)
- Five business days during the summer (Maintenance, TBA)
If a holiday should fall on a weekend, we will close the following Monday in lieu of the holiday. In addition to the above listed holidays, we close for 5 business days at Christmas.
Monthly Fee Program
At Jolly Giant Childcare we calculate the monthly fees based on a 20-day (4-week) month. There are more than 20 business days each month so instead of closing for a few days each month or charging for extra days, we choose to take holidays with you for 5 business days during the summer and again in December instead.
Children who enroll into part time spaces also have fees based on a 4 week cycle. For example, a child who attends Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays will be billed on a 12 day month. In this example you will receive more than 12 business days each month so instead of closing for a few days each month we close for Statutory Holidays and for 5 business days during December instead.
Drop in Fee Program
Jolly Giant Childcare drop in fees are billed daily and are due upon arrival on the day of service.
Health & Illness Policy
The Health & Illness Policy is based on the following criteria:
- Preventable public health practices
- The comfort and safety of the sick child
- The staff’s ability to accommodate or care for a sick child
- The protection of the other children, staff, students and parents from communicable diseases and conditions
- Children with infectious illnesses should not attend daycare. If a child becomes sick while at daycare the parent(s)/guardian(s) will be notified and prompt pick up arrangements will be made. In an emergency, medical aid will be immediately sought.
If a child is sick, unable to play outdoors, and/or unable to participate in the centre’s regular program, alternate arrangements for care must be made and Jolly Giant Childcare must be notified. If a child becomes sick while at daycare the caregiver will follow the Pick Up Policy
Health & Illness Attendance
A child should not attend daycare when:
- he/she has a fever of 100 degrees (38.8 C)
- he/she has consecutive bouts of diarrhea
- he/she has skin infections, undiagnosed rash, sore infected eyes, or signs of any contagious disease
- he/she has any parasite related condition
A child may return to daycare when:
- his/her fever has remained below 100 degrees (38.8 C) for 24 hours without medication
- 24 hours after he/she has had at least one normal bowel movement
- 24 hours free of vomiting
- 24 hours after he/she started prescription antibiotics
- he/she has been examined by a doctor and has received medical clearance
Although immunizations are not required they are one of the most effective ways of preventing the spread of communicable diseases. We recommend that all children have their immunizations brought up to date prior to entry into any of our programs, and that the immunizations are kept up to date thereafter. The record of immunizations is recorded on the registration form upon entry into the program. Please update our files after each subsequent immunization. Thank you.
Jolly Giant Childcare caregivers will only administer non-prescription medication to children with a completed Physician’s Medication Release Form on file. All medications must be in their original pharmacy containers.
Jolly Giant Childcare will only administer prescription medication that is in its original pharmacy container and is accompanied with a doctor’s prescription. The child’s name, medication name, dosage, and times to administer must be clearly stated by the physician. A Parent’s Medication Release Form must also be completed before medications are administered.
All medications must be stored in a lock box while at daycare. Please remember to ask a caregiver to return the medication at the end of the day.
Our facilities are situated in residential neighbourhoods. Do not park on neighbouring property or block neighbours’ driveways.
Pick Up Policy
If your child must be picked up from daycare for any reason, the following procedure is used:
Call the Parent/Guardian listed first on the registration form, trying all numbers listed if needed,
Call the Parent/Guardian listed second on the registration form, trying all numbers listed if needed,
Call the Authorized Person listed first on the registration form, trying all numbers listed if needed,
Continue through the list of Authorized Persons, trying all numbers listed if needed,
If the 13th hour of care is approaching, dial 0 for the Operator and ask for Zenith 1234 for further instruction,
If no Authorized Persons have been contacted, wait 5 minutes and start the procedure again,
Reporting Abuse Policy
“Everyone who has a reason to believe that a child has been or is likely to be physically abused, sexually abused, emotionally abused, and/or neglected is legally responsible (under the Child, Family, and Community Service Act) to report the matter to a child protection worker. In British Columbia, a child is anyone under the age of 19.” (Quoted from The B.C. Handbook for Action on Child Abuse and Neglect)
Therefore if we have reason to believe that a child is being or is likely to be physically abused, sexually abused, emotionally abused, and/or neglected, we are obligated to report it.
Student and Volunteer Policy
Jolly Giant Childcare will have Early Childhood Education students completing practicum or volunteers working within the centre throughout the year. At all times students and volunteers will be under the supervision of Jolly Giant Childcare staff. We will post an announcement on the bulletin board for your reference.
All students and volunteers must have on file a current criminal record check, a physician’s declaration of suitability, two letters of recommendation, and a resume.
Our main responsibility is to provide care to the children. If we are doing art, preparing snack, or doing any one of the items listed in the Guidance Policy, we will not answer the phone. However, we will answer the phone when possible; otherwise we will check the answering machine and document the messages at lunchtime, again after rest time, and periodically throughout the rest of the day. We will return all calls promptly, so please leave a message.
Unauthorized Persons Policy
An Unauthorized Person is anyone who is not clearly stated on the registration form and any person who is incapable (intoxicated, medicated, etc.) of caring for your child. It is important for Jolly Giant Childcare staff to know who is authorized to pick up your child thus the authorized person list on the registration form must be kept up to date. If an unauthorized person arrives to pick up your child access will be denied. Your child will remain under the supervision of Jolly Giant Childcare staff until an authorized person arrives for pick up.
Note: Biological parents cannot be designated as unauthorized without clearly stated legal documentation on file, but can be deemed unauthorized by Jolly Giant Childcare staff if they are incapable (intoxicated, medicated, etc.) of caring for your child.